In a SKULL CUP!
When I’m in the mood, I really do like to cook and experiment with things. For the last year, that’s been centred around Steaks and such (being a #meatatarian and all). Today I decided to try something different, a cheese sauce.
This recipe was quite simple really.
- 1 tablespoon (14g) butter
- 1 tablespoon (8g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk any percentage
- 3/4 cup (3oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Pinch of cayenne to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking continuously, until flour is lightly golden, about 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in milk, whisking out any lumps as they form. Continue to whisk the mixture until it is thick and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the cheese a handful at a time until all the cheese has been used and sauce is smooth and creamy. Add cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
The only thing I changed was using 35% cream instead of milk. So definitely creamier and of course, you can add in any flavourings you like to suit your desires. For now, this stayed pretty much as is. Future versions will be a bit fun to play with :)
Nothing creeps me out more than a Dunkin Donuts fork wishing me good luck when I’m about to eat their food.
Need I say more?
I’m mostly over reverse culture shock. Subtle things are the worst. Like I’m still a little surprised when people hold a door open for me, or say sorry when they just happen to be in the area I’m walking towards.
Then there is the food! Oh it is so nice to have variety once again. I can once again walk over to a deli, ask for “some of this and some of that”. There are tons of foods that I want to grab when I’m in a grocery store. I’m trying real hard with not over doing it. Just but one thing different/extra each week.
I’ll try not to grumble too loudly about the f’ing insane cost of my 10GB mobile data plan…..>:(
I also bought a car. You really do need one in Canada unless you are a hermit.
Is a 2002 Volvo S40. Only had 159K on it. Need to attend to some minor issues but once the weather is nice out. It’s a good car and the turbo is fun to play with :)
Also, each week a connect with another friend/family member. I realize this is a good plan as trying to contact every single person I knew at once would be hard.
Yes, it is nice to be home. Good to catch up with family/friends/food/cars again. We’ll see how long it lasts ;)
Today we went to the Samsung Buffet. Totally amazing! Here is a video by someone else that cover it well.
Not: This is not my video and I have no idea what he says at the beginning.
What was missing from the steak part was the adding of spices and sauce. Below is the end result.
It was cooked to about a medium-rare and was juicy and tasty as all get out!
They only do it at certain times and if you waited to long to get in line, and it’s not a small line, you’d have to wait for an hour. I was lucky, also a bit greedy, and got two servings while we were there for 1.5hrs. I was properly stuffed!